Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Body Image-Victory through God



Uploaded from Yahoo Images
 
Psalm 62:1-2 "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken."
 
Society has shaped our perception of what we see as beautiful, to the point where men and women are experiencing eating disorders, low self-esteem, numerous insecurities, and more. As a senior college woman, I have seen and experienced the way media effects men and women, especially their perceptions of what it looks like to be beautiful. Magazines, celebrities, and every day encounters with others continue to raise standards for beauty. According to Judy Lightstone, in her *article "Improving Body Image," she defines body image as "our perception, imagination, emotions, and physical sensations of and about our bodies. It is not static-but every changing; sensitive to changes in mood, environment, and physical experience. It is not based on fact. It is psychological in nature, and much more influenced by self-esteem than by actual physical attractiveness as judged by others. It is not inborn, but learned. This learning occurs in the family and among peers, but these only reinforce what is learned and expected culturally." Body image has been on the mind of each person at some point in their life. Some are affected more than others, but the point is, it is an ongoing struggle and battle to be thinner, buffer, healthier, etc.
What would it look like if you were able to overcome your insecurities and find victory through God the father? What if through prayer, reading His word, and eating and drinking according to the Bible you were able to see yourself the way God sees you? Well that's why I'm writing this blog-to experience victory through Jesus Christ.  Over the next 40 days, I will follow the Maker's Diet, written by Jordan Rubin, to grow closer to God and treat my body as a temple for Him. Before I begin, I want to share my story and explain what exactly is the Maker's Diet. Here goes!


God sees you as beautiful and has wonderful plans for you. Be expecting of Him, and He will change your life in AMAZING ways.


I Surrender

<><
I surrender my life, my body and my existence to follow you Lord.



 
*http://www.edreferral.com/body_image.htm

1 comment: