Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Buon Festa Della Donna --Happy Woman's Day!

Uploaded from Yahoo Images

When I studied abroad in Florence, Italy last semester, I remember walking out of my front door  and seeing street vendors selling yellow flowers called mimosas. My curiosity soon increased when I saw this happening everywhere around Florence and also in Italy! These pretty flowers were meant to be given to woman everywhere, normally bought by their husband or significant other. 

"Women’s Day has its roots in two events that took place outside of Italy. On March 8, 1857 a strike by garment workers in New York, led to the formation of the first women's union in the United States. Sixty years later Russian women led a strike calling for "bread and peace" during the twin horrors of World War I and the Russian Revolution. In 1945 the Union of Italian Women declared that this special date, March 8, should be set aside to celebrate womanhood across the country."*

Italian feminists chose Mimosas as the symbol of the holiday in 1946, to mark the first occasion of the holiday after the end of World War II. Its bright color and fragrant scent are reasons for why this specific flower was chosen. Another reason is because it is in bloom at this time of year and is inexpensive.**

I decided to celebrate Festa della Donna here in the United States as well! I wanted to give mimosas to my mom in appreciation for all she does. Unfortunately, each flower and garden shop I called didn't have mimosas! So my little 8 yr. old sister, Hannah, and I made do with what we could and instead we made construction paper mimosas, which in my opinion look better ;)

Proverbs 31:25-26
 "She is clothed with strength and dignity;
   she can laugh at the days to come.
 She speaks with wisdom,
   and faithful instruction is on her tongue." 

Let's continue to be women of noble character, always clothed with the strength and dignity of Jesus Christ.

<>< I Surrender
 
*Retrieved from http://www.lifeinitaly.com/culture/festa-della-donna.asp
**Retrieved from http://www.charmingitaly.com/tag/festa-della-donna/

No comments:

Post a Comment